Most of candidates believe that they have good skills. This may be true, but partially true. Time is changing. Technologies are changing and new technologies are changing the systems. Earlier a person who was good in reading, writing and speaking was considered to have good communication skills. Today this may not be enough. You need to more than read, write and speak. You need to be good in computer communication like emails, communication through web-sites like social or professional web-sites, messaging through computer like sms through computer, presentation using computer like power Point presentations, new phone technologies and mobile communication etc. Similarly the argument applies to other skills too, like analytical skills, mathematical skills, technical skills etc.
Below is a list of general skills that will help anyone get ahead in practically any field.
- Public Speaking : People who are effective speakers come across as more comfortable with themselves, more confident, and more attractive to be around.
- Writing : Good writers are better at selling products, ideas, and themselves than poor writers.
- Self-Management : Strong organizational skills, effective productivity habits, and a strong sense of discipline are needed to keep yourself on track.
- Networking : In an economy dominated by ideas and innovation, networking creates the channel through which ideas flow and in which new ideas are created
- Critical Thinking : Being able to evaluate that information, sort the potentially valuable from the trivial, analyze its relevance and meaning, and relate it to other information is crucial.
- Decision-Making : The bridge that leads from analysis to action is effective decision-making – knowing what to do based on the information available.
- Mathematics : The ability to quickly work with figures in your head, to make rough but fairly accurate estimates, and to understand things like compound interest and basic statistics gives you a big lead on most people.
- Research : You don’t have to know everything – but you should be able to quickly and painlessly find out what you need to know.
- Relaxation : Being able to face even the most pressing crises with your wits about you and in the most productive way is possibly the most important thing on this list.
- Basic Accounting : Knowing how to track and record your expenses and income is important just to survive, let alone to thrive.
Nowadays, it is not enough to just have some skills. Sharpen your skills and get good opportunities. Let me say –
“Sharpen your skills. You will get jobs yourself.”