The Biggest Employer
Indian Railways has long been thought out to be one of the biggest employers in India and 8th position on the grand employers list in the world. Of course what we forget to discuss is the employment Indian Railways generates in addition to the official numbers. Right from charter services to the umpteen suppliers who sell food parcels on the railway platforms, Indian Railways provides indirect employment to more than 14 lakhs people.In addition to the existing 14 lakh people, the latest Railway budget has provision for employing 1 lakh more people. You can see Safe and Secure Jobs in Indian Railways.
Why to join Railways
- Be proud, you are serving nation.
- Safe and secured job.
- Free or subsidised rail travel
- Good number of Holidays
- Bonus scheme
- Insurance and Pension scheme
- Employee assistance
- Family-care & Child-care
- Free or subsidised Education to Children
- Free or subsidised Higher Education to self
- Free or subsidised Hospital and Medical facilities
- Home and garden like staff quarters, bungalows
- Sports and leisure facilities
- Subsidised canteen for food and home accessories
- In case of any accident or loss of life : safety to family, job to family members
- Many other benefits
Move with Indian Railways
How to join Railways
- As a clerk after HSC or 12th
- As a clerk or officer after graduation or any Bachelor degree
- As an Engineer after
- 12th or HSC through Special Class Railway Apprentice (SCRA) exams and training
- B.Tech or B.E through Indian Engineering Services (IES) Examination
- As an Indian Railways Traffic Service (IRTS) or the Indian Railways Accounts Service (IRAS) officer after Graduation through Civil Services examinations conducted be UPSC.
- As technician or at technical level posts and lower level posts : the regional Railway Recruitment Boards conduct regular examinations for the posts of Drivers, Assistant Drivers, Stations Masters, Section Engineers etc.
- Doctors and surgeons can join the Railways, and they come under the Indian Railways Medical Service (IRMS) cadre. Railways have full-fledged hospitals at the divisional level & at zonal headquarters. Some of them are famous (PER railway hospital is famous for heart surgery).
- On humanitarian grounds, if a railway employee dies while in active service, the next of kin might be given a job on compassionate grounds (breadwinner case).
Selection Criterion :
- usually through written examination
- and oral discussion or interview.
Read more at Railway Recruitment websites or Govt Jobs websites or UPSC website.